Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Life isn't a 30 minute segment.

Hi Friends,

We are sorry we haven't updated this week. Yesterday I was watching one of those medical shows on the discovery health channel. In thirty minutes, you see someone go from a diagnosis, usually a devastating one, and by the end of the thirty minutes it's showing them perfectly healthy again and playing outside with their family. Well, I am coming to realize that life doesn't actually work that way. It got me thinking..until I actually experienced a serious medical problem with my own family member, I never honestly understood how other people felt. It is sooo differen't actually living the day to day life and seeing my Dad go through this. Yes the surgery is over, and it was not cancer. PRAISE GOD for that. But seeing the pain, the meds, keeping everything regulated, the sleepless nights...they just don't show you that on tv! I have a differen't compassion for those who have to deal with an illness, loss, or major trauma in their family. It's just something I cannot really even explain. Especially when it happens so fast-- I think it's just starting to actually set in my own mind that my Dad just had brain surgery.

It has also been brought to my attention the significance of marriage vows. As many of you know, my parents celebrated their 25th anniversary in a hospital room in the ICU. When you commit to "love each other through sickness and health" on your wedding day, I bet alot of people don't actually think about taking care of their spouse after brain surgery. I have to give it to my mom, I really do. We have all helped as much as we can, but it's my mom that sleeps on the couch every night outside my their bedroom, getting up every few hours to help him. She is also the one who keeps track of when he needs his meds, tracking when and what he has drank during the day, driving him to the doctor's appointments, keeping my dad's spirits up, praying...all while trying to keep it together for my sister and I. I guess "real life" is a little differen't. I guess it's just reality. My mom has really shown me what true commitment is through this. I really hope that I can one day be the same time of Godly example to my own family!

So I think I should actually write a little update on the actual patient, right ? :) Due to his sodium levels yesterday, he was suffering from insatiable thirst again, which was alot like the first day or two after his surgery. It all has to do with the pituatary gland and if it's working or not. Right now, it is not really working on it's own so he is taking meds to regulate everything. He was just so thirsty, nothing could quench his thirst. He was able to start back on his meds for that last night, so by bedtime he was feeling much better. He is still having pain in his back, some pressure in his head and headaches, but I think that is part of the healing process. We are pretty much in daily contact with his doctors every day still. Tommorow will be two weeks since the surgery. He actually told my Grandma last night if he feels better today, he wants to take her to a furniture store tommorow and help him pick out things for her kitchen. He then proceeded to tell us he would be flying up to see her in N.M. sometime soon to help her finish decorating her kitchen! Honestly, we just all laughed. We really needed to hear that from him! It may not sound funny, but just to hear my Dad talking about getting out and trying to re-design her kitchen was refreshing. At least we know everything in that brain of his is still working the same! Much to his chagrin, I do NOT think he will be furniture shopping tommorow..he needs to master that "walking" thing first. He will get there though :)

Again, our family is so blessed by all of you. The thoughtful cards, encouragement, calls and visits during the hospital stay is something we can never repay. We have also been so blessed by the meals that have been brought. I know it takes so much stress off of my Mom and Grandma, and it is so nice to sit down and eat as a family in the evenings. My Dad even has been able to come to the table these past few nights and eat with us. We honestly REALLY treasure that time together. Every day when we check the mail we get so excited to give my Dad his cards to open! That's the highlight of his day!

I will end this extremely long post. Love to all of our family and friends, and many, MANY thanks for the outpouring of love. It honestly would have been so much harder without the emotional support.

Warmly,
Tiffany

2 comments:

  1. Tiffany,
    Thank you so much for the updates. We are still praying for ya'll and will continue. It is an honor to know and get to pray for you! I am so thankful too for all that God has done.
    I hope you enjoy Seminary soon--and DBU for your mom :)

    Take care, love,
    Mariann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiff,
    Thanks for all your updates to keep us in tune with the all that is happening in your home and with all of you. I know your Mom is exhibiting her unconditional love for Stewart before you and it's good to see that you hope to emulate her some day with your own family.

    When does seminary classes start for you? We are continuing to pray for all of you, especially of course, your Dad and Mom through each and every day. I know each one is an adventure with the day to day living.

    Hang in there.

    Love you all,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete