Thursday, August 13, 2009

Trust and Healing

I received a wedding invitation today from a high school friend that was actually in our wedding many moons ago...it really took me back to our oh-so-80's wedding, replete with white patten leather shoes and white tuxes. John Travolta would have been proud.

This comes on the same day that Stewart is beginning to come to terms with what he has been through over the course of just 4 short weeks...it seems we have travelled as many emotional miles in 30 days as our entire 25 years of marriage.

As I was helping him with the bedtime routine tonight, he thanked me, (for about the millionth time :) for helping him through this process. That's when it hit me -that marriage, above all else, should be a place of healing our wounds. And have we had a few over the years. I often think the greatest trial and error of any relationship is learning to trust. So, whether it's the challenges of career, family, or even a realllllly big cut in your head, ;) trust opens the doorway for healing. I am honored that he can sleep peacefully knowing that I will be there in the watches of the night. This of course means I will be so tired tomorrow I may kick the dog, but it is an honor to have such a wonderful husband to take care of.

Stew got all of his hair cut off today, boot camp style, and he looks exactly like his 1st grade picture. LOVE it. He has regained almost all of his eyesight...aren't you amazed? So am I. He got upset with Jasmine over spending what he deemed too much money at Target. I danced a jig in the kitchen. At least I know we are gaining some of our old life back if those two are arguing about money??! SO normal. And, he had the mother of all headaches, a little scary, but called the Dr. and learned that, duh, your head might hurt after brain surgery. I amaze myself sometimes over what I worry about.

I went ahead and put the dog up for the night, so no worries!

Love,
Denise

4 comments:

  1. Denise,
    I tried calling you this morning and your home phone is full of other messages and won't take anymore. I know you are giving 24/7 care for Stewart each day and getting little sleep, but I'm still praying for you and just wanted you to know I haven't forgotten you.

    And I rejoice with you in every small victory in Stewart's recovery and healing process. And it is indeed a process. And I'm glad he's improving steadily, with his vision and desire to get up and out more. I know that's a challenge to keep up with him, but I pray for you stamina and perseverance as well as rest each and every day.

    We love you and continue praying for you. I'll try and call again tomorrow.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,
    Isn't it amazing how God continues to teach us things even in the midst of our biggest challenges? This walk of faith may be the biggest learning curve of your life! Tell Stewart that I said hello and to behave. You get to be the boss for awhile. Still praying for healing for Stewart and strength for you. Love ya,
    sd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise,Stewart,and family,
    Ron and I would like to fix a meal for you and your family. Are you overloaded with meals at this time? Let us know and we'll be very happy to drop something by. Won't keep you. We surely understand that visiting is a hard thing for now. Let me know, and if so, what day would be good. I pray and think about all of you everyday for a fresh beginning up ahead.
    There will be a light at the end of this tunnel. You two are more special than I suspect you know. It's quite obvious that you both mean a great deal to many people and to each other. That is a gift from God. I know these are very tough roads and hopefully have been thru the major ones and get those behind you. So much to move forward to...we love you and still in our prayers. Ron and Rosie Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  4. My email is RNL2@verizon.net if you would email me your answer when you have a spare.... moment.
    God Bless,
    Ron and Rosie Lewis.

    ReplyDelete